The Ball Mauler 7
Join us Saturday, May 5, 2018 for the seventh running of The Ball Mauler. The route covers around 71 miles with about 11,000 feet of climbing. We roll out at 8:00 am. If you want to ride a portion, there are multiple bailout options along the route. The Ball Mauler is officially an unofficial and unsupported ride.
NEW Start and finish point. This year we will launch and land at Caletti Cycles HQ (104 High Road, Santa Cruz, CA 95060), just down the street from Kelly’s French Bakery off of Delaware. Frame builder, John Caletti, will have the shop open before and after the ride. Plan on ogling pretty bikes hanging out in a rad space.
Mark your calendar and tell your friends. Contact us with questions.
Below is the approximate route with mileage and elevation gain, so you can plan how much of the ride you want to do:
1) Caletti Cycles up Western up Empire Grade to the top of Jamison Rd: 17.5 miles/2,900ft
2) Down Jamison to Hwy 236 and back up 6mis (then ride Empire Grade Rd south to the top of Alba 4mis): 10 miles/1,600ft
3) Down Alba Rd to Hwy 9 and back up 7.4mis (ride Empire Grade Rd south to the top of Pine Flat Rd 1.9mis): 8.3 miles/2,200ft
4) Down Pine Flat & Bonny Doon to Hwy 1 and back up 14.8mis (ride Empire Grade Rd south to the top of Felton Empire 1.8mis): 16.6 miles/2,100ft
5) Down Felton Empire to Hwy 9 and back up 7.2mis (ride Empire Grade Rd to Caletti Cycles ~9.8mis): 17 miles/1,600ft
- 5 climbs
- 71 miles
- 11,000 feet of climbing
Peter’s Strava from 2017: